Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Me And My Bright Ideas...

Hi folks, Simon Says Stamp very kindly sent me the "Happy Birthday Script" die to play with from their latest release "Fluttering By". There are so many great products in this release and you can check them all out HERE.
I'm sharing a card I made using a section of the die along with the gorgeous Monochrome Washi Tape and Leaf Burst stencil from Altenew.

I started off by applying Ranger Opaque Texture Paste through the Leaf Burst stencil on to a panel of Distress Watercolour Card and once it was dry, added a wash of Distress Faded Jeans Distress Oxide ink over the whole panel using the Distress Broad Brush and then removed the colour from the paste using a baby wipe. Suddenly I had one of those "no idea if this will work" moments, the idea being to try and use the Washi Tape like collage paper, the only problem is that Washi Tape is sticky on the back and was likely to be a nightmare to trim around - sticking to the scissors, sticking to my fingers and being totally unco-operative. And if it didn't work out, you're never going to know but where there's a will, there's a way, so I liberally dusted the back of the tape with my powder tool and woohoo, surprise, surprise, it was a breeze of a fussy cutting adventure. I then fixed the tape over the texture paste section using my go-to adhesive, Distress Collage Medium Matte.
However, the washi tape completely covered up the detail of the stencilled paste, definitely not the look I was hoping for. But hey I'd come this far and had no intention of giving up just yet so I grabbed a small embossing tool and pushed the washi tape down into the detailed sections...woohoo now I'm happy.
I die cut the Happy Birthday Script from black cardstock but felt it was dominating the card too much so it was time for adapt and overcome moment 3. I trimmed out the "Happy" and stamped the rest of the sentiment on to white card using Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Simple Sayings inked with Black Soot Archival, added Black Soot splatters, distressed the edges of the panel and added a strip of My Favourite Things Dots and Stripes Neutral paper.
I'll be back tomorrow to share another "Happy Birthday Script" card, a "simple with no dramas" card and no chopped up sentiment.
And for all my fellow Tim Holtz addicts, our adorable Professor will be joining us from Sizzix HQ for a Facebook Live tonight at 5pm if you're in UK, 6pm for Europe and 9am PT if you're in the US
I've booked my front row seat, hope you'll join me.
Toodle for now
Hugs Kath xxx